28 March 2011

Happy 200th!


Today is the 200th birthday of Saint John Neumann, one of the priests who served in the Pittsburgh area - including my hometown and my current parish assignment, as well as the bishop who established the Franciscan order who oversees the high school where I am chaplain.

(He has influence over a lot of my life . . .)

Happy Birthday #200, Saint John Neumann!






(A picture of the former Shrine of Saint John Neumann in the mother church [Saint Peter Parish] of my hometown, which is now closed.]

1 comment:

mkfleck said...

I sang with Jeff Madden, the artist
who created the painting at St. Peter Church, both in the choir at St. Peter and the Entertainers. The painting shown unfortunately is painted directly onto the wall and cannot be removed when the church building is demolished later this year. I am grateful that there are photos of it. Jeff mostly portrayed McKeesport scenes from the city's hey-day, when the streets were crowded with shoppers and busy with traffic. In almost every painting, he showed Overcoats, a homeless man who walked the streets summer and winter wearing at least one overcoat and carrying at least two more. He was known to everyone in town. Jeff died many years ago, but he should be remembered as a man who shared his talents with joy.