26 June 2014

Four Years

It amazes me that it's been four years since I, in the thought of Saint John Vianney, laid down on the marble floor in my nothingness and arose a Priest of Jesus Christ.

Four years ago, I and my two classmates found ourselves doing something that was not of our own beginning, and will not be of our own ending. We entered into the greatest fraternity of the world, and have given of ourselves day after day for the glory of God.

We knew it wasn't going to be all sunshine, roses, and lollipops. We knew of the struggles and suffering accepting the call to this vocation would ensue. But we didn't become priests to make us happy . . . we became priests to share the joy of Jesus Christ.

I can't imagine my life being anything more than what the Lord has given me. I don't think that I would want to. Before I entered seminary, as many know, I was Director of Music and Liturgy at Incarnation of the Lord Parish on the North Side of Pittsburgh. The life of a music director was one that I loved, and, sometimes, regret having to give up for the vocation I'm in now. But I wouldn't trade my decision for anything. I can still do the music "stuff" in my own ways, and have actually filled in for our music ministers here at Saint Teresa's on occasion. But even behind that organ, that piano, I still feel the calling to fulfill the vocation that God has given me.

From the parishes that I belonged to and formed me (Saint Mary's German [McKeesport], Saint Martin de Porres [McKeesport], Saint Thomas More [Indiana, PA], and Incarnation), to the parishes I served as a seminarian (Saint Joseph [O'Hara], Sacred Heart [Shadyside], and Saint Mary of the Assumption [Glenshaw]), to the parishes I served thus far as a priest (Saint Alphonsus [Wexford] and Saint Teresa of Avila [Perrysville]), as well as the two high schools that I served as Chaplain (Mount Alvernia [Millvale] and North Catholic [Troy Hill / North Side]), I have met people along the way who have supported me in my vocation, nurtured the call within me, taught me to recognize the many faces of Christ. 

When people ask me what is my favorite thing about being a priest, two answers come to mind: Preaching and Sacraments. I love preaching, reflecting upon the Word, and bringing the message of the Lord to His people. However, I also love celebrating the Sacraments. From the baptisms I've had the opportunity to administer (including my three Godsons), to the marriages I witness (which will soon include my sister's!), to the moments of healing and forgiveness I give in the Lord's Name through anointing and reconciliation, to those rare moments I've had the opportunity to confirm people in the Faith (Don't worry - permissions were granted.), to the Masses I celebrate which allow the presence of Christ to be made manifest in simple gifts of bread and wine, to those sacramental moments with the Rite of Christian Burial (Oh, the many funerals!), to see how God breaks through in these simple, yet important moments of life is astonishing. 

Over these last four years, I have been blessed to have made many new friends, while probably gaining some enemies, as well. But each person who I encounter - whether in life for a brief moment to life-long companions - truly grounds me in why I do what I do. Most of these new friends gained over these last four years simply know me as "Frob", a name given to me by my choir prior to entering seminary, has become a name that has given me such delight in hearing it when people need me to help them along their journey of faith, need a moment of sacramental grace, or simply want to grab a beer. These are some of the people I turn to for prayer requests, a listening ear, and that occasional beer.

But I never forget the support of those people who simply knew me as "Rob" in my pre-seminary days. These are the people who know "the back story", those who have journeyed with me in those days discerning the priesthood. These are the people I turn to in the more difficult days. I am very grateful for my family who has supported me through the good and not-so-good days of my life, as well as those "older" friends who know when to give me that good, swift kick in the pants.

It's hard for me to believe it's been four years. Texting one of my classmates, he asked, "Has it seemed like four years to you?", to which I responded, "A little shorter, a little longer..." I can't believe that it's "only been four years" - it seems longer at times, and at the same time, doesn't feel long enough.

Well, Happy Anniversary to my classmates, Father Tom and Father Brian! And here's to many more!


Continue to pray for vocations to the priesthood!

----------------

[Some of you may wondered how I spent my anniversary. Well, I celebrated the 7:00 AM parish Mass (followed by a delicious breakfast of a caprese salad and iced tea), and since Thursday is my day off, I took a few hours to grab lunch (Chinese from the food court at the mall), see a movie, and drive aimlessly for a little bit. I had to return early to the rectory to prepare for a rehearsal for a wedding that I have tomorrow evening, and made a visit to a funeral home for one of the two funerals I have tomorrow. Now, I'm taking a break from doing the prep work for tomorrow, which also includes a dinner meeting for a marriage group that I work with. (No rest for the wicked or the weary.) But all in all, I enjoyed the day very much.]




Enjoy the journey . . .
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Frob for all of your untiring commitment to your vocation. Thank you for all of your prayers and support of the mission in Ahuano, Ecuador. It is such a joy to be able to serve the Lord in every way He desires. I am still learning to give my heart more to Him, but I thank God for his patience. Congratulations!