07 December 2008

I just move on . . .

It almost seems impossible to think that this semester is essentially over, with the exception of final exams. It seems to have flown by so fast, and a lot has happened this semester - most of it good. Turning my attention to my three finals and one final paper, I feel that I have grown this semester not only in my academic knowledge, but also in my ability to minister to people.


One of the biggest joys - and largest amount of energy and time spent - went to the Vocation Discernment Group I facilitated with some local college students. I looked forward to spending time with them, and have grown with them in their own discernment, that they have actually strengthened my discernment and vocation. They were (and are, since we'll be meeting next semester) my small parish, my faith community. Looking back on how nervous and anxious I was at the on-set, even though I was excited to have this opportunity, we have all grown together closer to Christ and to each other. Though I am happy to be at a break from this project, I am very much looking forward to next semester with the "crew".


I cannot believe that I'm now six months away from my diaconate ordination. Everyday, I seem to be more excited and, at the same time, more overwhelmed by the responsibility that this office will hold for me. Will I be able to be the servant Christ is calling me to be? Only with His grace will I know; only with His grace will I be able to carry out my duties. I've been reflecting upon the questions I'll be asked at the ordination, and while there are only six questions to answer, each one is filled with a lot of "meat to chew on". Each season, each experience is one that I look upon as my final one as a lay person . . . I know it sounds strange and maybe a little morbid, but as with any type of commitment, once you say "yes", everything changes. And I know that this can only be a change for the better . . . all the way around.


But for now, I have a paper to write . . . and a life to continue to live. (Not that I won't have a life in six months; it'll just be different.) Here I go . . . just movin' on.



Enjoy the journey . . .


No comments: