16 August 2013

"Peace Prayer" Retreat Reflection



A Reflection on the Peace Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Since my annual retreat (2013) found me at a Franciscan friary, I thought it would be a good exercise to digest for myself Saint Francis of Assisi’s “Peace Prayer”. It gave me a blessed opportunity to really think out this prayer as becoming an instrument of God’s peace in this world, but also how becoming that instrument fulfills the vocation that I am called to.

I now offer this to you, for your own reflection. It’s not exhaustive, but only a starting point for a conversation with God.
.
+ --- + --- +

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace What does that mean? One plays an instrument, often to inspire another; to calm and console another. How is the Lord “playing me”? (Of course, not in a negative sense.) How is He using me to call others to Himself? Am I like a brass instrument? A woodwind? A stringed instrument? A piano? An organ? Is my sound pleasing to others? Does it call them to know the peace of the Lord? Or am I being an instrument, thinking I am doing the Lord’s will, but only bringing attention to myself? And am I allowing Him to make me that instrument – to be crafted by the Hands of God? Or do I think I’ve been made “good enough” to do His will? Do I allow myself the opportunities to be tuned and fixed, or do I just allow myself to squeak and be out of tune, not allowing God’s breath (the Holy Spirit) to blow through me properly?

Where there is hatred, let me sow love – In the midst of confusion and doubt in life (in general, in my own, in another’s), do I plant the seeds of God’s eternal love? Does my life reflect the height, depth, and width of God’s eternal love? Or do my thoughts, words and deeds, does my very presence compound the hatred in the situation? How am I the conduit of God’s love at every moment of my life?

Where there is injury, pardon Do I allow God to use me as a source of healing in the course of life? Do I reflect the workings of the Divine Physician in my own thoughts, words and actions? Do I use my own brokenness to foster the healing of God? Have I forgiven myself so that I can forgive others? Have I tried to help others past the pain, the injury in their own lives to see and experience God’s pardon – especially as a priest in the Sacrament of Reconciliation? Last, but not least, have I forgiven those in my life so that I may know God’s gift of healing before I can extend it to others?

Where there is despair, hope Do I bring the gift of hope to those who seem to have little of it in their lives? Do those who despair in their lives see in and through me the Presence of the One who IS Eternal Hope? In those moments of despair in my own life, have I turned exclusively to the hope that is given to me by God, or have I turned to things which offer a false hope, which leads me further down the road of despair? Do my thoughts, words and actions portray something that will bring others hope when all hope – and the presence of God – seems lost?

Where there is darkness, light I was given the light of Christ at my Baptism. Have I placed that light under a bushel basket, or have I let it become the light of the city on a hill? When others are lost in the darkness of sin and death, do I push them farther into the darkness, or do I guide them to Christ by the light that He has given me to share? Am I that guiding light or the extinguisher of the flame?

And where there is sadness, joy Joy is a sign of life. Does my life signify a sense of joy? Or am I a prophet of sadness? Does my life mirror the joy given to the world by Jesus, or does sadness proceed from my heart from the hardships that endure in my life? Do I radiate a joy that others want to have in their lives? Do I bring others to know that eternal joy in their relationship with Jesus Christ, or do I push them into a sense of “false joy”, and keep them in sadness through the fleeting happiness the world tends to bring?

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to consolePeople need to know that someone cares for them in this life. They need to know that God cares for them. I need to be that instrument of consolation, bringing the healing melody to others to let them know that someone else DOES care for them in their sadness, in their despair. That in the darkness of life, consolation can be found in the small, warm glow of the fire of God’s love.

To be understood as to understand When others lack that sense of peace, it’s not up to me to be understandable in my thoughts, words or actions, rather it’s important that I understand the other, so that they can see in and through me the presence of God. It doesn’t matter if what I say makes sense to them. They’re not looking for my wisdom (or lack-thereof); they’re just asking to have that lack of peace in their lives understood.

To be loved as to loveWe all want to be loved. We all need to experience God’s eternal love in our lives. But how do I do that? How do I love without asking for love in return? It truly is a sacrifice in one’s life to do this, and it’s something that I must learn to do daily. I must not be the one to seek the love – I must always be the one to supply the love. Unconditionally. Hopefully, love will be returned to me at the proper time and in the proper way. Until then, I love without counting the cost. I must be the one with the open arms, signifying God’s love for the other whether they realize that they need it or not. I must love, and learn how not to be loved. I must be able to sacrifice the love for another, just as Christ did for me (and for many) on the Cross.

For it is in giving that we receive The giving of my own self is its own reward. The more that I give the life, love and presence of God to others, the more that I am able to receive those same gifts from God through Himself – and through others.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned I must learn to forgive so that I may be forgiven. That begins with forgiving myself for anything that I’ve done against God or my neighbor . . . OR EVEN MYSELF! I must be willing to seek the grace to forgive others if I must learn what it is to be forgiven in life. And the more I learn to forgive, the more the Lord will bestow His grace upon me, because I have open myself to know that peace.

And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life We already have a taste of this through the Sacrament of Baptism, where we died with Christ so as to be a new creation in this life. We are not destined for this world. We need to be born again, again. Yes – born three times!: Naturally, Sacramentally, Eternally. And it is this final birth that we gain the fullness of the peace of God. As much as we work for it here on Earth, we will never have it completely until we are reborn to that eternal life in and with Christ. Yes, dying to ourselves so that others may live is one of the best ways to establish God’s peace in the world, when we are an instrument of our own death-to-self, so that another may live in God’s peace. But, ultimately, being that instrument of God’s peace will help allow us pass through our physical death to the eternal life, joy and peace of the fullness of the Kingdom of God.






-------------------------



Enjoy the journey . . .

No comments: