01 August 2014

Mission Countdown

Well, it's coming.

I have the opportunity to visit the great people of Guatemala in under a week, and I'm very much forward looking to go once again.

I enjoy the missions I have to Guatemala (this being my third). I enjoy the opportunity to grow as a person. However, this mission work is not about flying into a foreign country, being nice to a group of people for a time, and then leaving feeling good about yourself for doing something nice.

It's about the encounter with Jesus Christ.

As my missionary friend, Ryan, continuously reminds me in his bloggings and e-mails, the work of the missionary is about introducing and re-introducing Jesus Christ to those with whom you are working. It is about the spread of the Gospel - the "Good News" - and allowing the message of God's love to become active and alive in the midst of the people. It's about the joy that comes from loving people made in that Divine Image of Love, Himself. 

Looking back at some of the photos from my last visit, I'm excited to see the sisters again, to celebrate Mass for them (I do enjoy celebrating Mass in Spanish...), and to see the children at the school and orphanage once more. Hopefully whatever we do there (Mother hasn't quite told us yet . . .), we will be able to do for the good of the community - and that we won't mess anything up too bad!

In the end, I guess I look forward to these mission trips because I need to encounter Christ, as well. Not that I don't have those encounters in my prayer, the celebration of the Mass and the Sacraments, or in the interaction I have with people here in Pittsburgh - but it's good to get out of the ordinary, stretch your understanding on how God works, and witness it and be a witness to it in a place that's not your backyard. 

This is what I'm looking forward to:








 

Enjoy the journey . . .





No comments: