16 January 2013

Where Two or Three are Gathered . . .

Earlier this morning, I performed a funeral for a 90-year-old lady named Bertha.

This was not the typical funeral we have here at the parish.

Though while she was older, Bertha had no family - immediate or extended - to speak of, and really no close friends. She had her Power of Attorney, and some people who took care of her in the facility where she lived.

It was going to be a small funeral. I only predicted myself, the three ministers who were serving and reading, the music minister, the parish social minister, and the POA. 

After all, as a friend reminded me, "Where two or three are gathered . . ."

Gladly, I was wrong.

It WAS a small funeral. But there were more people than I expected. Though the total in the pews only ended up to be 12-18 people, it was wonderful to see that. We had some of the parish's Ladies of Charity present, and some members of the Catholic Daughters of America showed up as well (Bertha was a member.). But, also, some people who must have known her as a neighbor showed up for the funeral.

I was pleased.

And though we were small in number, I believe our prayers for Bertha were fervent. And after talking with the POA and our social minister at the cemetery, I think that Bertha would be pleased with her funeral.

I'm sure she was praying for us as we were praying for her.

As another friend said, "May her memory be eternal." And since we remember all the dead in the Mass we celebrate each and every day, her memory will be eternal. I just pray that Bertha - and all those who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith - will continue to pray for us who remain on Earth until the day we are called home or, if it be the will of God, the day when Christ returns in His glory.

+++ Eternal rest grant unto Bertha, O Lord. And may perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. May her soul and all the souls of the faithful, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen. +++




Enjoy the journey . . .

No comments: