21 October 2013

Something I Had To Share

I currently spiritually sponsor a missionary, Ryan, who is currently ministering to the people in Ecuador. (You can read his blog here.)

Recently, Ryan sent an e-mail to his sponsors, and I thought it was so awesome, I'd share it here.

Enjoy!

------------------


¡Ven Espíritu Santo! Espiritu Santo shamuy! Come Holy Spirit!
 
How important it is for us to rely on and trust in the Holy Spirit. His timing is always the right timing. This past Friday, Matt and I went to community Selva Amazonica (Amazon Woodland). This is definitely the best part of our week, when we get to go to the smaller communities that are deeper in the jungle. When we arrived, we began going home to home to invite people to our assembly at 2:00pm, for sharing the Word, reflection and prayer. By 2:30, no one had come, though many suggested they would. So, Matt and I took that time to read and reflect on scripture to one another. He read John 10:1-6 and I read 2 Pet. 1:3-11.
 
I started thinking, maybe the people are not coming because we lack the qualities mentioned in 2 Peter, because 'if these [qualities] are yours and increase in abundance, they will keep you from being idle and unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ'. In those moments, before we began to read scripture, we were idle, waiting for the people to come, and I was feeling unfruitful. Is it us, Lord? It is true, we were strangers to this community, and maybe it was OUR voice that invited His sheep, when it should have been His voice, 'because they recognize His voice' (see Jn. 10:4-5).
 
These qualities are who Christ is, in perfection. If we lack Him, then surely people will recognize that we are not genuine. Then, I came to realize that I am still holding onto certain past sins. Do I not trust in His saving power, His loving mercy? How can I love others and be Christ to others, if I don't truly believe that Christ loved me first? I became overwhelmed with a love from Him at that moment, as His Holy Spirit permitted me to experience His love in a new way: a healing love that I needed so much. Let us go forth without the burden of our sin upon us and take up the yoke of Christ, which is so light.
 
At that moment, some of the huahuakuna (toddlers, niños) began coming out of daycare. I remembered I had a bunch of candy. So, Matt and I, in a renewed spirit of allowing the Lord to work through us, went over and started talking to the little kids and giving them candy. Somehow, the word got out: The missionaries have candy!! Literally, the whole town flocked to us, kids and all. Then, the youth arrived from getting out of class. Next, some of the fathers began arriving back from working in the fields. At that moment, we realized, everyone had gathered. Together, we went, sang praises, read scripture and reflected on God's love in the sacraments and in our daily life. Praise you Holy Spirit! We could have been defeated, but He gave us a second chance to act in His love, not to force OUR agenda on them, but to trust in God's plan and timing, and to just love His flock! And in that instant, we had entered into His 'eternal Kingdom'.
 
 
 
Peace and blessings to each of you! Praise be the name of our Lord and God, Jesus Christ! He heals, he saves... we must allow Him to love us. "Do not be afraid." (Lk. 1:30)
 
Pray for us next week. Matt and I will be heading to a far away community, Mango Playa, to prepare them for the Sacrament of the Holy Mass. God bless!
 
Give them heaven,
Misionero Ryan


----------------

Enjoy the journey . . .

No comments: