19 September 2014

Off Again!




Tomorrow is an exciting day for me. I leave for a pilgrimage to Ireland and Scotland. I haven't been to these countries yet, and so am glad to have this opportunity.

The chance to visit lands with not just unique cultural heritages, but also lands which have a deep influence within the realm of Christendom, is something that I never thought I'd actually do. But, of course, I never thought I'd go to Australia, and I was wrong on that part.

Even though I've had two years to prepare for this pilgrimage, the realization that I'm actually going didn't hit me until yesterday while I was packing. From the time I got home from Guatemala a month ago, I've been busy with the parish festival, school starting, prep for ministry training, and other parish and personal activities. I really hadn't taken the time to really appreciate this pilgrimage taking place. 

And so, with only about twenty-four hours to go until I leave, there's still stuff to do - for the parish and for the trip. All will be well. I'm not worried about it.

But, before I take off for the Emerald Isle, I'll have the opportunity to see my friend's Irish band play tonight for a "Half-Way to Saint Paddy's Day" Celebration. That should get me in the mood.

Of course, for the celebration tonight and for the days to come, one great image comes to mind for this pilgrimage: Saint Brigid's Lake of Beer Poem / Prayer:

 
I'd like to give a lake of beer to God.
I'd love the heavenly
Host to be tippling there
For all eternity.


I'd love the men of Heaven to live with me,
To dance and sing.
If they wanted, I'd put at their disposal
Vats of suffering.


White cups of love I'd give them
With a heart and a half;
Sweet pitchers of mercy I'd offer
To every man.


I'd make Heaven a cheerful spot
Because the happy heart is true.
I'd make the men contented for their own sake.
I'd like Jesus to love me too.


I'd like the people of heaven to gather
From all the parishes around.
I'd give a special welcome to the women,
The three Marys of great renown.


I'd sit with the men, the women and God
There by the lake of beer.
We'd be drinking good health forever
And every drop would be a prayer.







Please keep me in prayer during this pilgrimage, as I will keep you in prayer. I hope to have a great reflection when I return.

-----------------------------


Enjoy the journey . . . 

No comments: