01 April 2008

Nouwen's Influence

I forgot to add in my first post another reason for me calling this blog "Can You Drink the Cup?" It's also named after one of my favorite books (same title) by Henri Nouwen. In the book, the reader journeys into the cup of life: how we hold the cup, lifting the cup, drinking from the cup, and some of the different types of cups our life can be: sorrow, joy, blessing.

I first read this book either towards the end of my college years or in the beginning of my years working in the parish. It taught me a wonderful lesson on approaching life. And now, after about six - eight years, I can go back and re-read the book with further reflection and gaining further insights.

I was first introduced to Nouwen in my college years by some friends of mine (and my parents) who were discussing his writings. After making my Cursillo weekend in 1997, one of those friends gave me a copy of his book, With Open Hands, which is a reflection about prayer and entering into prayer. Since that time, I've read a number of his books, not having completed the list of all of them - and each time being able to reflect deeper into my own life. His book, The Wounded Healer, which is a reflection on ministry in modern society, helped me in my life in my role as pastoral musician and youth minister. It also allowed me to discern further whether or not I could see myself entering the seminary and, God-willing, becoming a priest.

Well, you know the rest of the story . . . here I am . . . a little over two years until priesthood ordination.


Enjoy the journey . . .

Our Wounded Healer

No comments: