23 December 2010

My First Christmas

That does seem a bit odd to say, but, as a priest, this is my "first Christmas".

I'm getting excited about it: From choosing the readings (We do have options!), to preparing the homily, to getting all the "other" stuff done (i.e., wrapping presents), it's been proving to be a fruitful time for me, not just emotionally, but spiritually, as well.

Though I was excited for Advent to begin (and it is a most wonderful and blessed season), I had a somewhat difficult time entering into the season as much as I would have liked to.  But I don't see that as a negative; rather, it's been a positive thought for me to be able to be a little more deliberate in my final preparations for the Christmas season.  Advent has always been a wonderful opportunity for me to grow - and this Advent hasn't disappointed me in that regard.  I feel that I have grown this season, though, in all honesty, probably not as much as I would have liked.  But that's okay with me; I'm not disappointed in the progress or lack-there-of that I have made in this last month.  And while I haven't progressed as much as I would have liked, where I am now is not where I was a month ago, and so I really can't complain.

And so this all leads me into celebrating my first Christmas as a priest of Jesus Christ.  I'm looking forward to celebrating the Mystery of the Incarnation in this fashion for the first time.  

A Blessed Christmas to you all!



Enjoy the journey . . .

1 comment: