04 February 2013

Baptism by Fire

Last Tuesday, I and twenty-nine of my brother priests of Pittsburgh began a program called Good Leaders, Good Shepherds (GLGS). This is a program for priests to (further) develop their leadership skills in the model of Christ. This is to be two-year program, which varies in time given due to where we are in the program. We are the third group of our diocese to go through the program.

I do believe that it will be good to hone the skills I believe that I have, and to develop those that I don't recognize that I have. Yet, to be honest, I'm a bit concerned. Not that I don't think that I have the skills or talents or to be a leader. But, as it seems to be with and within the Church in the United States these days, I'm afraid that the experience will be more of a "baptism by fire". Of course, this is not the ideal situation. But this seems to be one of the best reasons to take this course on being not only a good leader, but - more importantly for the Church at-large - a good shepherd.

 

 The idea that I'll be thrust into the office of pastor sooner than later has been on my mind recently, especially in the days leading up to the beginning of GLGS. I am troubled in spirit when I think about it simply because I do not feel ready. But, I guess, neither did my brothers who have entered into this office . . . no matter whether they were ordained for three years or thirty. One is never truly and completely ready, I guess.

But with any part of the Christian life, "baptism by fire" is the way to go. It's not the most pleasing; it's not always the best choice; it's most definitely not the way that most of us would choose. Nevertheless, we find consolation knowing that in these moments of anxiety, frustration and stress, the Lord continues to walk with us, even guiding us through the fire to the cool and quiet waters of refreshment. (Although the time between the fire and the water may seem like forever to get there, when we finally do get there, we find the peace and consolation that we have been desperately searching for.) We also recognize and cannot forget that the Holy Spirit first came to the disciples in the Upper Room in tongues of fire . . . so that the passion for the faith may truly burn not only in the activity or the offices that the disciples were given, but in their very person / being and in the lives they were called to live.

I can only hope and pray that if and when the time comes, I'll be able to be as courageous as those early disciples and the other men who have gone before me in the role and office of pastor, of leader and shepherd.

I'll just have to wait and see.

(And I'm not rushing to move any time soon!)







Enjoy the journey . . . 

No comments: