04 February 2013

"The Night Will be Clear as Day"

That's what I felt like saying yesterday morning when the power went out 40 minutes before Mass. We began on time (8:00 AM), and actually did quite well, given the only "major" light was shining from the emergency lights in the church, with some flashlights and the rising sun (covered by clouds) to assist us along the way.





The lights came on right after I consumed the Eucharist. The congregation gave the "traditional" crowd-sounding "Oooooooo!", and I could not help but to smile and chuckle. 

A number of people congratulated me on being able to celebrate Mass with no electricity. I reminded them that the Church had celebrated the liturgy for many hundreds of years without electricity, and so it really wasn't too much of a problem.

Though I would have preferred to have the sound system working (I felt my voice starting to strain a little at times - which it very rarely does), I think that I liked the low-lighting in the church . . . there was a more "mystical" feel around the entire ritual. Some of the parishioners said that they preferred the low-lighting, as well. Maybe we can celebrate an evening Mass in the future with the lights lowered - but we'll keep the sound on.

To paraphrase, "The Mass must go on!"

And "on" it did.




Enjoy the journey . . .

No comments: