24 February 2013

One Last Thought

Thanks be to God, I'm going on vacation tomorrow. Nothing too big planned - just visiting with some friends here and there. It'll be a good time.

That being said, I know that I'll miss the opportunity to give some final parting thoughts about the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, before he leaves the Papal Office on Thursday, so I just wanted to post something now.

-----------------

I remember that April day in 2005, when the announcement of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger being elected as the 265th Bishop of Rome. It was my first year in seminary, and was just arriving at Duquesne University for my afternoon class. (I was coming from a funeral for a priest who had an influence on my vocation.)

Standing in the student union, I, along with another then-seminarian (now-priest) and students and faculty of Duquesne, watched as the announcement was made. I remember when "Joseph" was announced as the first name of the man becoming Pope, the other seminarian and I looked at each other and said "Ratzinger" to each other. For me, it was a moment of pride. Not only had the Holy Spirit worked (once again), but He gave us the "German Shepherd". (And since I'm half-German, it was a great "tip of the hat" to my heritage.)

The first time that I saw Pope Benedict "in person". It was 2005 in Cologne, Germany, for World Youth Day. I, along with some seminarian brothers, had the opportunity to go to the gathering he had with seminarians. It was a rainy day, but, thankfully, I and my companions were in the church building. As the Holy Father came through to greet all the men discerning and aspiring to the priesthood, I was rushed over by a number of people trying to get close. But I was able to get close - no more than about twenty feet. And though it was extremely brief, it was a wonderful experience nonetheless.

One of the last times that I had the opportunity to see Pope Benedict XVI "in the flesh" was the last time I was in Rome - October, 2009. I was there for the diaconate ordination of my diocesan classmate, and was walking through Saint Peter's Square, returning to my hotel. There was some movement, and - again, very quickly - the Pope was passing by. He was not in the Popemobile, but in a limo - and I only saw his hand waving to us along the way. True, I didn't get to hear him speak, but it was a wonderful experience. Just to know that the Holy Father was there, even going to meetings with officials of Rome, gave a great satisfaction that things were being taken care of. It was a unusual encounter that I know I won't forget.

---------------------

People will continue to argue if what the Pope is doing is beneficial for the Church, or if his "stepping down" from office and ministry will do her more harm. I'm not going to judge that right here or now. That's ultimately for time to tell.

I believe that the Holy Father has prayed about his decision, and feels that he is doing what is best for the Church Universal. I'm going with the flow - not really worrying about who will become the next pope. It's the fact that it's happening - history (once again!) in the making. I just pray that the cardinals really listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Other than that, we'll just take it day-by-day.




I hope to be in a church on Thursday, 28 February at 2:00 PM (8:00 PM Rome) when the Church begins the interregnum. I hope to hear church bells ring out the fact that we are "shepherdless" at that moment. I hope that all Catholics at that moment say a prayer to the Holy Spirit to guide Pope Benedict, the cardinals, and the man who will be Pope #266.




It will be interesting to not mention the Pope's name in the Eucharistic Prayer.

It will be harder to remember to say the new guy's name after his election.


We'll get through it. We just need to trust in the Holy Spirit.






Enjoy the journey . . .

No comments: