22 August 2014

2014 Patzun Mission Reflection



Well, I guess it’s about time that I reflected a little on my most recent mission trip to Patzún, Guatemala.

This being the third time I have visited the country, nothing was too shocking or completely unexpected from a travel standpoint. But, from the missionary standpoint, there’s (hopefully) always something new, shocking and unexpected. (And, yes, I did experience this.)

While I was down there, my primary job was to celebrate Mass and to be the sacramental minister when those moments arose. However, I did assist in the physical side of the mission work, and spent a little time playing with the children in the orphanage and at the school.

The “big job” for the week was painting. The group I was with –from Saint Bernard Parish in Mount Lebanon – ended up painting walls in both locations: For the school, it was part of the outside wall which protected the property; for the orphanage, it was the inside of the medical clinic. When the sisters asked us to paint, I had to laugh since I had painted the same wall at the school two years ago. (Although, I must admit, it did need some freshening up.) And while the task may have seemed insignificant in some ways, that little bit of help was an enormous act of charity on our part.

You see, some people, when going on mission trips, think that they need to completely change the world for the people that they serve. Not so. Mission work – and especially Christian mission work – is basic evangelization: Bringing Jesus Christ and His Gospel to the people one encounters. Yes, there is the physical labor, and that is important, but it’s not the only definition of what constitutes a mission trip. When people become frustrated because “there’s nothing to do” or that they “seem to be doing so little”, they forget that the primary mission of the mission trip is to be among the people that they are serving, and so to bring the joy of the Gospel to those people (whether they be Christians already or not).

It always fascinates me to watch people’s expressions and emotions as they move through the passing of time on a mission trip. The new, shocking and unexpected grasp them in different ways. But it does the same to me, as well. Here are the top experiences in the three categories from this recent visit to Patzún:

New: The people – I guess that the people of this mission trip (the missionaries, the sisters, and the students) were, in some ways, all new to me. It was a new and different group that I travelled with, with people I did not know. There were new sisters at both locations who I had the opportunity to meet (while reconnecting with some familiar faces), which is always a fun time. There were new students at the school and the orphanage that were not there previously. To me, this was and is a blessing, for it reminds me that the work is never really finished. (But I should note that there were some familiar faces in the town, people I remember from not just two years ago, but from my first trip to Patzún in 2006. In some ways they seemed timeless, although almost a decade has passed.)

Shocking: The number of “firsts” on this trip – Although this was my third visit to Patzún, there were a number of “firsts” that I had never experienced there. Among these were: seeing a horse being ridden through town; seeing fireworks in the town; first trip to Antigua and climbing the Hill of the Cross (along with a horse and buggy ride); stopping along the side of the road so that Sister could obtain some chickens; seeing a funeral procession (two actually) along a stretch of busy highway; seeing the young students at the school put on an end-of-year show, which got their parents (and grandparents [and us!]) involved, too; the first time I was asked to counsel a student at the school; and experiencing (seeing) death (see below). This is just a small list of things that come to mind as “firsts” on this particular mission trip.

Unexpected: Experiencing (seeing) death – On our way back to Patzún from Antigua,  we passed the scene of an accident. There was a young man lying face down on the road. Though I’m not exactly sure of what happened, I’ve been guessing that it had to deal with a motorcycle.( A lot of people ride motorcycles in Guatemala, and some of them ride too fast with no helmet. With the roads in this particular area steep due to the mountains, and seeing how they curve a lot, I’m assuming that the young man lost control somehow.) Seeing this made the ride back a little more somber and introspective. We, of course, prayed for the deceased (and his family and friends). The van was essentially silent for the rest of the night. Though I deal with death on a regular basis, even I was a little uneasy seeing this image. It was completely unexpected; it was completely shocking. But it gave us the opportunity to see the (possible) normality of what riding those roads mean – even if it was under the grimmest of circumstances.

Despite all this, there was one great opportunity to connect with the saints. And while I would generally be talking about the celebration of the Mass, this chance came when we spent time at the tomb of Santo Hermano Pedro (Saint Peter of Saint Joseph Betancur), a Seventeenth-Century saint who is considered the “Saint Francis of Assisi of the Americas” for the work he did for the poor, including founding hospitals, schools and an oratory. His was of life attracted followers, and the women eventually became a religious order. He was beatified in 1980 and canonized in 2002, both by Saint John Paul II. (You can read more about him here.) I hope to find his writings in English eventually. (They were in Spanish at the book store.) I’m always excited when I have the chance to learn about a new saint – and this was no exception.

I really did enjoy my time in Patzún. I do miss the sisters, the children, and the people of that town. I hope to return again soon, and to continue the mission.











Enjoy the journey . . .

No comments: